2005/12/23

Is your child a camwhore?

The article "Boy joins a sordid online world through his Webcam" starts off with:

The 13-year-old boy sat in his California home, eyes fixed on a computer screen. He had never run with the popular crowd and long ago had turned to the Internet for the friends he craved. But on this day, Justin Berry's fascination with cyberspace would change his life.

And after reading it all, it kind of hits close to home since my oldest son will soon turn 13! Both our sons have their own computers. Fortunately, none of them have internet access for now.

These days anyone (not just teenagers) can become a camwhore. I'm guessing that there is more appeal for teenagers than for older adults (partly the very fact that it is illegal but I'm sure there are some sense of perversity involved, too.) [Things like this prevents me from publically posting my children's names and for now my own name on the internet.]