2006/12/05

Unschooler's hope: dropouts who cashes in

"Log on, drop out, cash in: These top techies weren't leery about leaving school" is about geeks who start companies rather than finish college degrees. I like the quote:
Theirs is the stuff of classic Silicon Valley mythology: young people deserting higher learning for high technology to follow in the famous footsteps of Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs and Michael Dell. These dropouts barely raise an eyebrow in high-tech circles, where their worth is measured in real-world smarts, not Ivy-League degrees.
Why don't they teach this stuff as the norm rather than exception? I think all students should aspire to be independent business owner. I wasn't brought up that way nor was I trained to be an entrepreneur (instead I became a good follower, a good employee).

At least the following quote gives me hope:
Ironically, Google was started in 1998 by Sergey Brin and Larry Page, both Stanford doctoral program dropouts.
considering that I've dropped out of my PhD studies, too...

Copyright 2006, DannyHSDad, All Rights Reserved.