2007/02/03

American English: The authorized version?

Many years ago, I had a conversation with a co-worker from France and we had a mutual co-worker from Quebec and I asked the Frenchman, how is the Quebecer's French and was told "quaint." And I thought that was very interesting.

And tonight, I saw a NHK program, with my Japanese wife, called "Let's Play with Languages of the World" where a professor mentioned that American English is the older version of (British) English. And even though it was the first time my wife and I heard that, I immediately got it because of what I heard of Quebec and even about Brazilian Portuguese. My wife mentioned how Japanese emigrants [Brazil and U.S.] tend to keep and preserve the [older] language while their home county, Japan, evolves ahead, as well.

So American English is the older version of English. And to think that we were speaking the more modern version of English. How quaint....

Copyright, 2007, DannyHSDad, All Rights Reserved.

Labels: , ,