2006/01/12

Guns: Shooting alone, et al.

Yesterday, I went to an indoor shooting range by myself. It's the first time I've gone by myself without any of my sons (I've went once with my sons and others I've gone with other men around). I rented the following pistols:
  • Heckler & Koch USP 40 S&W
  • Glock 23 40 S&W
And didn't do too well. Maybe just general nervousness for doing something new. We own BB guns: one rifle and one pistol, and have had chance to use many guns before but not any pistol: I've rented a .22 revolver before but not a pistol. I hope over time to get use to pistols: I purchased a 12 visits for the price of 10 deal so I hope to visit a few more times. And I hope to try many different pistols over the next 2 months. My current plan is to get comfortable with pistol and then get a concealed permit. However, it won't be useful in CA since it seems almost impossible to get a CCW permit. Sigh. And hanguns have to be registered. Arrgh.

Earlier this week, I looked into buying a .22 rifle for my son but it turns I had to have my current address on my license. We just moved and hadn't changed my address on my ID so I had a good reason to renew my license.

Today, I looked at the classifieds for used guns and there were only 2 or 3 guns on sale (last time I checked in 2005, I thought I saw almost a dozen or so). [If the selections were wider, used may be a good chioce but not for now...]