2005/12/05

Enslaving the homeschoolers: national/regional contests

As I become more and more unschooler, I question the value of winning all those national competitions. I saw: 16-Year-Old Wins Science Scholarship And thought, what value is there for the home educated to become mainstreamed? Is the process trying to equalize the home educated students? Make them more like regularly schooled children?

Since my goal is to turn my sons into godly men, I don't care if they can win a prize (national or otherwise). They aren't trying to beat the schooled children but I'd like to see them say with Apostle Paul:
No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. [1 Corinthians 9:27]
I don't want them to be in "the game" that everyone else is in. I want them to learn to listen to God's calling and to follow it, come hell or high water. Not because I want them to or to please any others on this earth (themselves included), but because they are personally in touch with Jesus Christ.

For myself, I know that I need to be more "in touch" with Him not just in His Word...