2005/08/18

Regretting the Bombs

I've found "Blessing the Bombs" to be a great article on how one Catholic chaplain changed from pro-nuking (he blessed the two nukes that were dropped in Japan) to anti-nuke/anti-war. Father George Zabelka wrote:
As a Catholic chaplain I watched as the Boxcar, piloted by a good Irish Catholic pilot, dropped the bomb on Urakami Cathedral in Nagasaki, the center of Catholicism in Japan. I knew that St. Francis Xavier, centuries before, had brought the Catholic faith to Japan. I knew that schools, churches, and religious orders were annihilated. And yet I said nothing.

Thank God that I'm able to stand here today and speak out against war, all war. The prophets of the Old Testament spoke out against all false gods of gold, silver, and metal. Today we are worshipping the gods of metal, the bomb. We are putting our trust in physical power, militarism, and nationalism. The bomb, not God, is our security and our strength. The prophets of the Old Testament said simply: Do not put your trust in chariots and weapons, but put your trust in God. Their message was simple, and so is mine.
The previous paragaph is where I stand now, but here's my background: I was raised in a Protestant denomination that was anti-war but I became pro-war as I became naturalized US citizen (I guess those were the days when I tried to be everything my parents weren't). My political thoughts and beliefs were closely tied to the Republican party from 1985 to 2004. My pro-war, pro-nuking stance started to change as I returned to Japan in 1989 and worked there for 3 years and married a Japanese woman (who was kind of neutral about patriotism towards Japan until she started living in the States). I've moved back with my wife to the States since 1992 and now have 2 sons who are dual Japanese and U.S. citizen. The final break in the straw was when I started reading lewrockwell.com in 2004 and at first enjoyed the economic and pro-homeschooling articles. But then I started reading political (including anti-voting) and even anti-war articles and have changed my thinking in many ways including stopped voting as a Republican during the summer of 2004 and turned anti-war over the past several months.