2005/03/26

Who was the real Jesus?

Today is a dead-zone between Good Friday and Easter and I just came back from an Easter service (Sat night, I know), mostly a passion play (I must admit I got sidetracked by Vox's site before I've started this). What got me thinking (enough to write) is how Jesus was portrayed today as soft and kind and even with matching "mellow" music.

I have started listening to Robert Bly's Iron John audiobook and didn't like how he talked of Jesus someone gentle (rather than a strong leader). I've also been thinking about who Jesus was, really, rather than what we commonly perceive (everything from curse words to "Jesus is meek").

How could a man who said
"My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place." (John 18:36)
could be considered meek and weak? He has the whole universe under His thumb but at that moment in time, He choose not use His full power.

He came to show example lives for us to emulate: grow under parental authority (Luke 2:51,52), support one's parents (cf Luke 3:23; Mark 7:9-13; John 19:26,27; 1 Tim 5:8; Prov 19:26 and 28:24), and be active in serving others (take the initiative to serve, rather than being forced or as an after thought: Matt 20:25-28). And of course, being holy (Matt 5:20, 48).

Enought writing before midnight! Good night and Happy Easter 2005!